Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sunday, June 20

Well, I'm sitting at Jesse's computer in his office at Parachutes - cannot find wireless internet access anywhere. Pastor Dave has wireless at his home, but can't remember the password for guest access. One of those mornings! Let me get you caught up.....

Sunday -
Just when you think it can't get anymore beautiful traveling, it does. Amazing! Through more mountains - this time we were actually even with or above the snow cap. Long winding curves leading into hairpin curves that take you into Anchorage. Glaciers right off to your right or left sitting among gorgeous mountains surrounded by forrest. Like I said, I didn't think it could get anymore beautiful - and it did! Wow! Words and even pictures just don't do it - I wish I could paint it for you, but I just don't know how.

We left Tok, Alaska, at 7:30 a.m. and arrived at Anchorage at 3:30 p.m. We just parked in downtown Anchorage and Jesse got us about 4:00 p.m. The last miles into Anchorage were fabulous driving, but before that we had some more of the crappy permafrost stuff and also some construction, but not nearly as bad as the day before. In Tok, we had fresh halibut at a roadside stand - that's all she served was halibut out of a little hut. You only had like 5 choices of how you want it prepared - halibut and chips, halibut tacos, halibut wrap and a couple others. We had halibut tacos - they were fabulous. Obviously made with fresh halibut! Of course, you already heard about the massive size marguerita - I had to try one just to say I did it. I did it (with a little help from Duane)!

We saw a bald eagle, a fox and a moose with her calf right in the middle of the road along the way.

So, we arrived in Anchorage and are staying at the home of Pastor Dave and Darlene Kuiper - they gave us their basement to use as our own. It's such a lovely home and such a wonderful gift to be able to stay there. They are extremely nice people and very easy to talk to - we feel truly blessed by their hospitality. Anchorage itself is surrounded by mountains all around with the bay to the ocean in front. What a location! It's absolutely gorgeous! We got somewhat settled at Pastor Dave's and then off with Jesse to have a barbecue with some of his friends. As a parent, it was great to meet them and realize what wonderful friends Jesse has here - truly wonderful friends. We are thankful.

Well, that's about all for Sunday, Oh, yeah - I did manage to sprain my left ankle the other day. I was not thinking about what I was doing (completely in thought about something else) when I got off the bike and, for some crazy reason, got off the bike in a way I have never done before (and should never do again) - I don't even know what the world I was thinking. So, ended up stepping all over Duane's foot on the ground (he can't move his foot or the bike would tip over) and twisted it. It swelled up, but overnight, it went down and by the end of the next day was feeling fine. Thank goodness. I don't know what my deal it - first I think I can shove my left leg under a 800+ pound bike and think my leg can hold it up and then I get off the bike like a contortionist (is that spelled right?). I'm going to have to settle down here - I'm just getting too much into the adventure I guess.

Thanks for checking and thanks for the prayers.

Gayle - BOTB

No comments:

Post a Comment