Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tuesday, June 22

We kind of got a late start doing "things." We could not find wireless internet, so as I mentioned yesterday, ended up at Jesse's office using that. Jesse was done with his staff meeting at about 1 p.m., and we were done blogging by then and also done doing a couple of loads of laundry at Pastor Dave's house, so headed out of Anchorage. Duane was also "tied up" yesterday at the BMW dealer. He had arranged a month before we left to have it serviced while we were up here. I think he had a really good time - Jesse and I heard all kinds of stories as he and other BMW owners swapped stories of their treks to and from Alaska and other places.

Jesse wanted to show us Whittier, Alaska, and the tunnel that gets you there (it's the only way by land to Whittier). The tunnel takes you 2-1/2 miles (10 minutes to go through it) right through a mountain (literally). They blasted their way through a mountain - not over or around it - straight through it. It's quite amazing. Once you get through the tunnel, you're in the little town of Whittier. Once again, beautiful! Whittier is surrounded by glaciers - great big, gorgeous ones. All kinds of shades of white and blue. They were incredible. The glaciers then are surrounded by snow and forest. Such beauty is just a statement of God's greatness - it really is. I was in awe.

Then, on the way back from Whittier, we had the most exciting thing happen! We came across mountain goats on the cliffs right next to the road. So, you looked up the steep cliff (right next to the road), and there were the goats just looking down at you. The closest one was probably about 100 feet away straight up. The groups (there were two of them) included little ones also. They were so darn cute - and they just fly across those cliff faces like nothing and look down at you as if to say "what are you looking at?". It was great - I was excited. Duane got some great pictures. He's going to have to post some one of these days.

Back to Anchorage and Jesse took us to his favorite Thai place to eat - a little hole in the wall in a bad part of town, but wow, that food was amazing. True Thai food is delicious - and this was fabulous. Yum!!! Don't aske me what I had - couldn't remember anyway. All I know is it was great!

Last stop of the day was a restaurant downtown called "Humpy's." A staple of Anchorage where people gather, eat, drink and, I'm pretty sure, get rowdy. It was fun to see! Jesse wanted to show it to us because that's where he had a conversation with Sig Hanson, Captain of the fishing vessel Norwegian on the TV show the Deadliest Catch. I can see why those crab fishing guys hang out at "Humpy's" - it just fits. In a couple of the guide books, the authors said if in Anchorage, you have to try a "duck fart" - it's a drink. Well, me being all about experiencing the real Anchorage, I thought I better try one. It's kahlua, Bailey's irish cream and Crown Royal. Yum! But, I wouldn't want to have too many of them. My waitress was nice - when I ordered it, she laughed and smiled and made sure to bring me a tall glass of water! Yup - experienced waitress.

It was a fantastic day! We are thankful to be experiencing it and thankful to be with Jesse. (Now if only Jamie and Brady were here - oh, well.)

Again, thanks for checking and thank you for your prayers.

Gayle - BOTB

Now a little news from the front.....

As Gayle said, stopped at the BMW dealer for a service call, needed the oil changed and a few other minor things checked. Sat about two hours conversing with some of the most "eclectic" and interesting people I've met so far. Talked with one guy from Belgium, who flew from Frankfort, Germany to Anchorage with his dad and brother and rented BMW's. They are touring Alaska for a week and then will fly home. The same guy was here last year, after he delivered a friends BMW, from New York to Anchorage, it took him 7 weeks and he toured most of the Northern US and Canada. What a trip that would be!

So today we head for Denali National Park and Mt. Mckinley, that tour will be tomorrow and we will drive the 240 miles back tomorrow night. It never gets "dark" here, sunset last night was 11:41 pm and sunrise was at 04:14 this morning. I was up at 02:30 this morning, just looking around, and I could read the newspaper while sitting in the basement family room, with no lights on! It was a little dim, but I could read it. Weird!

The best part of the trip is that my blackberry has no service up here. I have not received an e-mail from work for over a week! For those of you from the office, I have not gotten to the point where I was wishing I was back to work! Sorry!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your blackberry doesn't work! I hope Gayle takes the battery out of it while your on vacation (hint hint Gayle). FYI the AJ case got moved to October.
    I'm loving the blog, your trip sounds fabulous! Boy, you two are adventurous trying new foods.
    Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete