Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Monday, July 5

I'm back! I'm sure you figured out that I'm posting this way past July 5 - and, yes, we were totally out of internet service for a few days. Even the cell phone service hasn't been much. So, back to July 5...

We left Haines Junction at 7:30 a.m. and arrived in Haines, Alaska at 9:15 a.m. (there was a time change in there somewhere - I have no idea which way it went at this point). I tried to update my blog in Haines Junction - the Alcan Hotel we stayed at said that if I sit in their laundromat and hold the laptop just right I might be able to connect. I tried - didn't work.

So, we went through a mountain pass to get to Haines - WOW! Breathtaking, inspiring, magnificent, majestic, exciting - yup, all those things! It was 42 degrees for 60 miles. We were above the tree line and snow line. The landscape went from trees to stone face mountains, huge monster trees, raging rivers, northern rain forest - wow! It was amazing. We tried to take pictures - we can only hope they will give you some small idea of the beauty of majesty of God's creation. I kept hearing the song, "Majesty, worship his majesty....." Truth!

We saw a black bear, eagles and two grizzly bears - one was absolutely huge and right next to the road (I mean right next - he had one paw on the road). Of course, Duane wanted to stop - I said no way and I won that time. I also didn't get a picture of him. Panic can do funny things to a person.

We arrived in Haines and thought we'd take in the place. In all of these small Alaskan villages, you see these wonderful brochures describing "all" they have to offer. When you get there, you realize they are all liars (and trying to make a living) - because they have absolutely nothing to offer except a couple of shacks and, if you're lucky, a grocery store with some locals and natives and maybe a black banana or two. Haines was definitely in that criteria - wonderful brochure and then absolutely nothing! So, we boarded the ferry (Alaska Marine Highway System) at 2 p.m. and it departed at 5 p.m. We immediately saw glaciers, lovely mountains, gorgeous landscapes and some sea lions. A good start.

Well, I have more days to do - so, thanks for checking. Thanks for the prayers.

Gayle - BOTB

No comments:

Post a Comment