Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday, July 11

What an absolutely perfect way to end such an incredible trip! Who could believe that you could drive through South Dakota in the middle of July at 80 degrees the whole way and no wind to complain about. Amazing! We left Spearfish, South Dakota, at 6:45 (LeMars time) and arrived in LeMars at 3:00 p.m. and got home at 3:30 p.m. - 480 miles. We were a little concerned around Rapid City because it was really windy there, but shortly drove out of that front and into absolutely gorgeous weather. Wow!

The only thing that seems comment worthy is that it is so green! Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and our little part of Iowa were all so green - pastures and grassland very green for this time of year. It made everything much more beautiful. The black hills were all lovely green rather than the dusty, worn-out looking hills they usually are at this time of year. Nice. The other thing that was really striking to us was the corn - when we left it was 6 inches tall and when we got home it was tassling. Unbelievable to us. Our garden also is completely changed from when we left it - we have peas, beans and cucumbers coming out of our ears. Funny, when we left they were just tiny little plants. Once again, God's creation is utterly amazing.

Well, this will probably be my last blog. Duane plans to blog another time or two (so be sure and check again), but I think I'll close is up for me. Wow - how do you put into words this trip? I kept thinking on the way home from Spearfish (remember, I have a lot of time to think on the BOTB), how do I answer the inevitable question, "How was your trip?" How do you put into words the experience we've had - all the amazing things we've seen, the wonderful things we've done, spending time with Jesse, meeting all the different people (who knew there were so many different personalities out there), seeing all the wildlife, and on and on. I still haven't figured out that answer - I better get going on that (I'm sure I'll be asked at work tomorrow). Words escape me, but suffice it to say it was incredible and I am honored to have been blessed to have the opportunity to take such a trip.

So, thanks for checking. Even more important, thank you all for your prayers - thanks to those who signed up as our friends, thanks to those of you who checked regularly and thanks to those of you who just had an interest once in a while. When you're out there on a bike in the middle of nowhere and not sure what may happen next (bike malfunction, wildlife problems, other people driving crazy, etc.), you realize once again the importance of prayer. So, thank you! Last, but the most important of all, I thank God for this opportunity. I know it is by His grace that we were given this blessing. So, thank you, God.....what more can I saw - thank you.

Gayle - BOTB

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you did this blog for your trip. What an experience and to share it with your friends and family along the way. I was in "awe" over your trip. Glad you are home and safe!
    Cyndi Craig

    ReplyDelete